Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jesus ain't no Boy Scout!

I never got to be a boy scout, but I think that I would have really enjoyed it. What boy wouldn't enjoy being outside camping and building fires and learning how to do all sorts of cool stuff? The boy scouts are nutorious for being prepared, and being prepared is not really a bad thing. I think about this being prepared mentality in the ministry quite often. I often feel like we as Christians should always be prepared because it is the responsible thing to do. Shouldn't we as Christians be responsible? Sure, that sounds right. I wonder though, is this being prepared a biblical model? I've always assumed that it is the biblical thing, but most of us know what assuming does... As I have grown in Christ I've come to the harsh reality that the biblical model is not always the "be prepared" model. If you don't believe me, then just read this scripture where Jesus tells his disciples to take NOTHING on their journey. Luke 9:3 "take nothing" Wow! now that's intense. Why would Jesus tell his disciples to do such a "foolish" thing as we see it. With this type of journey there is a required level of trust in God that few of us will ever experience. I think that many...most every.... almost all Christians in America miss out on some great blessings simply because we convince ourselves that Jesus is a boyscout when in all reality he more resembles a vagabond. If God calls you to do something, then do it. Especially if he calls you to "take nothing." I really think that we have a long way to go before we even come close to what it means to be believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment